If you are deciding to spend Christmas in Victoria this year, you won’t be disappointed. Many of Victoria’s historical buildings are festively decorated during this time of year, and there are also numerous events that are perfect for families, couples, and friends. Victoria has a rich history that offers an old-world charm mixed with traditions that have a more present-day vibe.
There are numerous Victoria events revolving around Christmas, from restaurants offering holiday-themed menus to performances by the Victoria Symphony, a holiday light tour, a carol sing-along, and a jungle experience perfect for families. There are also a handful of restaurants and inns that offer a brunch or dinner on Christmas Day, enabling you to spend the holiday relaxing and enjoying loved ones instead of slaving away in the kitchen!
Victoria’s 125-year-old history makes it one of the most magical places to visit during the holidays, as the city transforms into a cheerily decorated city that welcomes visitors of all ages with open arms. There are many different activities in Victoria that will appeal to families and those just looking to revel in the holiday spirit.
What to Expect when You Get to Victoria
Tree-lined Government Street in downtown Victoria comes alive with Christmas lights and festive decorations in a way that is sure to bring some holiday cheer to locals and visitors alike. The many historic buildings are lit with different coloured lights, and the famous giant sequoia tree in Centennial Square is definitely a must-see.
Boasting mild winters that may seems some rainfall at the worst, Victoria is a great setting to enjoy Christmas, without the ice and snow. Downtown hosts many different events, including an annual Christmas Tree Light-Up and a Santa Light Parade.
Festive Events Taking Place throughout the Holiday Season
There are many different Victoria events during the Christmas season that will keep the holiday spirit alive and inspire vacationers to come back again next year. Take a look at just a few of the most festive and popular events, all of which are appropriate for families as well.
- Lighted Ship Parade – December 1st at the Inner Harbour
◦ Watch the lighted ships sail by with a cup of complimentary hot cocoa
- Victoria Carriage Tours - From December 20-23rd
◦ Ogle over the lights and holiday decorations in the comfort of a heated carriage
- Butchart Gardens Holiday Lights Tour - From December 1st – January 4th
◦ Enjoy one of Victoria’s most famous attractions by motor coach
◦ The gardens used to be a quarry and boasts tens of thousands of coloured lights, wreaths, and more
- Christmas in the Jungle - From December 7-31st
◦ Enjoy Christmas in the Jungle with the likes of flamingos, tortoises, turtles, ducks, fish, tropical birds, and butterflies
- Hardtack Holiday Ornaments and Christmas Scavenger Hunt – December 3-24th
◦ Perfect for all ages, this Christmas Craft show is set up in the gallery and is ideal for perusing at your leisure
- Live Outdoor Nativity Pageant – From December 21-23rd on Topaz Avenue
◦ Enjoy a presentation of the story of Jesus Christ with live animals and a cast of 100+
As you can see, there are many different activities in Victoria over Christmas that can make your holiday vacation even more enjoyable. From the numerous lighted tours to simply taking in all the history Victoria has to offer, there is something for everyone.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Amazing Vancouver Island and a clickable link back to this page.