Have you ever wanted to see Vancouver Island’s marine life in action? Did you know that grey whales call the Island’s coast their home? Tofino has an entire celebration devoted to these majestic sea creatures. Come and join them in honouring their migration at the 32nd annual Pacific Rim Whale Festival!
This festival is held in celebration of the spring migration consisting of 20,000 grey whales that come and go past Tofino’s shores each year. Over the years, the festival has grown into a series of educational, entertaining, and inspiring activities that celebrates Tofino’s coastal traditions and unique environment. Mark your calendars for these especially big days of festivities:
- The festival officially begins on March 10 with the Whalefest Kick Off and Parade
- Come and see guest speaker Ian McAllister in Tofino on March 10 (sponsored by Ocean Outfitters)
- Check out the West Coast Photo Showdown where 30 of the best photos will be on display at the Gray Whale Deli in Ucluelet from March 10 to 23
- Join in for Barnacle Bluegrass on St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) at the Black Rock Resort in Ucluelet, featuring David Gogo
- Dig in at the Chowder Chow Down at the Ucluelet Community Centre on March 18
- Learn some new things at the SeaChange Panel on March 18. The theme is “Global Warming! What Does it Mean for Our Oceans?”
- Kids can join in the fun on Maritime Kids Day with special guests BOBS AND LOLO. This event will take place in Tofino on March 21 and in Ucluelet on March 22.
- Close out the festival with the closing ceremonies, Microplastic Survey (Ukee Aquarium), and Tug-O-Whale held at the Wickaninnish Beach & Kwisitis Centre and the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve on March 25
See you there!
Event Name: Pacific Rim Whale Festival 2018
Date: Saturday, March 10 to Sunday, March 25, 2018
Location: Various venues, Tofino
Contact: Pacific Rim Whale Festival
Official website: http://www.pacificrimwhalefestival.com/