So, you want to surf Vancouver Island but you have no idea where to start?You can catch the best waves in Tofino, or Long Beach, which is said to be the best surfing spot in all of Canada.Long Beach consists of 20 kilometers of prime beach between Ucluelet and Tofinoon the west coast of Vancouver Island.
You can enjoy the waves at Tofino all year round, regardless of your skill level. Hard-core surfers wait for winter, when storm season produces awesome peeling surf.For the brave, there are 12-foot waves that crash against the beaches of the Pacific Rim National Park.
Come prepared for the cold – the ocean temperature at Tofino is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year. It can reach as high as 58 degrees in the summer, but don’t forget to don your full-suit and booties. A good wet suit should let you catch waves for up to two hours at a time at Tofino without feeling the chill.
Surfing Lessons and Equipment Are Waiting For You
Don’t be afraid if you don’t know how to surf.There are many instructors at Tofino who are waiting to show you the ropes.
- You can choose from the three surf schools at Tofino or the single surf school at Ucluelet. You’ll learn how to surf, and also how to abide by local etiquette.The surf schools also offer wet suits and surfboards for rent, so you don’t need to bring anything with you.
- You can even catch an annual surfing contest at Tofino.This is run by the British Columbia Surfing Association (BCSA).
- Women looking for a safe environment to learn how to surf can take classes at Surf Sister Surf School, which has the distinction of being Canada’s only all women surf school.
– But this school doesn’t discriminate against guys; daily surfing lessons are available for them as well.
– Aside from teaching daily lessons, Surf Sister Surf School also offers private lessons, camps for mothers and daughters and teens, and weekend clinics.
Have Fun Surfing at Jordon River
If surfing conditions are less ideal than in Tofino and Long Beach, you can also catch a wave at the southern part of Vancouver Island. Be prepared for frustration though, as surf days tend to be unpredictable and inconsistent.Also, there are no surfing schools in this area, and so if you are a beginner, you’ll be happier staying close to Tofino.
A good surfing spot at the south end of Vancouver Island is Jordan River, where there can be good surf at all stages of the tide.This area is located at the Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, which lies along the West Coast Road.This is the home territory of the informal Jordan River Surf Club, and if you are visiting, be on your best surfing behavior.These guys don’t take too kindly to people dropping in on waves out of turn, and the beach and the sea can be very crowded at times.
Plan to stay for more than a few days, as the best waves only happen under specific wind and swell directions.
These are just a few of the choice surf spots on Vancouver Island.If you want to have some fun on the Island, put on your bathing suit and go catch some waves.
To check out transportation options for travelling to various surfing spots, check out our Vancouver Island travel page.
Republished under Creative Commons License from West Coast Aquatic Safaris, an acclaimed Bear Watching, Whale Watching, Hot Springs Cove Tour Co & Marine Charter Co in Tofino, BC on the famed west coast of Vancouver Island. Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor.