Mount Washington Alpine Resort is one of the most impressive Vancouver Island attractions, located on the eastern edge of the Island. It is a beautiful destination spot year-round with the closest communities more roughly 3 hours away in the Comox Valley. With magnificent peaks and the Pacific Ocean as backdrops, this resort area should move up on your bucket list, stat.
A coveted place to visit for skiers and snowboarders, Mount Washington receives a staggering 11 metres of annual snow. Known as the home of “Canada’s deepest pile”, the mountain and resort area is privately owned and has seen an impressive growth since its start in 1979. Considered one of the top coastal mountain destination spots, Mount Washington is a must when it comes to Vancouver Island attractions.
Below you will find information on when the ski season begins, the best ways to get there, and a list of accommodations both in the village and in Comox Valley.
Mount Washington Overview
Mount Washington Alpine Resort will open on December 6th this year. The day lifts run from 9 am to 3:30 pm daily, and there are night ski hours on Sundays and Thursday through Friday from 3:30 pm to 9 pm. The mountain offers a dynamic ski and snowboard school for beginners or those looking for a refresher, as well as 2 terrain parks, cross country and Nordic skiing, snow tubing, and snowshoeing, in addition to the trails designed for alpine skiing and riding.
There are numerous ways to get to Mount Washington, depending on where you are coming from and what your preferred mode of transportation is.
- By Land
◦ Mount Washington is located 25 km west of Comox Valley, 50 km south of Campbell River, and 100 km north of Nanaimo
◦ If driving, be sure you have a car well-suited for winter driving conditions, and that you have snow tires or chains
◦ The resort is located on Strathcona Parkway and it is a good idea to check road conditions before beginning your trip (1-800-550-4997)
◦ There are bus transportation services that leave from Victoria, Nanaimo, and Campbell River
- By Ferry
◦ There are several Nanaimo ferry terminals that will bring you to Mount Washington from Horseshoe Bay or Tsawwassen, located on the mainland
- By Air
◦ The Comox Airport (YQQ) and Campbell River Airport (YBL) are the closest airports to the resort and will take roughly 45 minutes to get there once you land
There are numerous accommodation options when visiting Mount Washington. The resort itself can house up to 4,000 guests, and there are many different options right in the village. Additionally, there are many hotels and hostels located approximately 45 minutes from the resort in Comox Valley and Courtenay. From slopeside hotels to A-frame chalets, log homes, townhouses, hotel-style condominiums, and hotels outside of the village, your options for places to stay are endless! Check out the Mount Washington website for deals and more information on accommodations when planning your trip.
Mount Washington is an epic destination spot located on Vancouver Island and is perfect for a family getaway, girl’s weekend, romantic weekend, or any special occasion. From well-maintained downhill trails to options for snowshoers and those looking for a little fun in the snow in the form of tubing, there really is something for everyone!
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Amazing Vancouver Island and a clickable link back to this page.